I just watched Google Video Presentation on their new experiment callÂ Google Wave.Â Â So with MLA and vacation I hadnâ€™t checked my RSS feeds for awhile so I felt a little behind.Â This morning I opened up my RSS reader excited to hear what everyone had to say and to my surprise there was amazingly little chatter about Google Wave.Â Â Maybe Iâ€™m wrong here, but about 10 social networking light bulbs went off when I watched the video.Â Heck I watched the entire 120 minutes video and I never do that!Â
So if you donâ€™t know about Google Wave please consider this:
- Itâ€™s being developed by the people that worked on Google Maps (and we all like that)
- Email was developed 30 years ago and based on a paper system.Â Â Google Wave is based on how you would design email in todayâ€™s social world.
- Itâ€™s like merging IM, email, Wikis, Blogs, and any other collaboration tools into one place.
- Google wants developers to develop which means its useful application will grow much like the iPhone.Â
- Itâ€™s another step towards Software as a Service and Cloud Computing.
So before you think I have stock in Google (and I donâ€™t) there are going to be plenty of problems with Google Wave.Â Â All Iâ€™m saying is check it out.Â Â The concept is pretty darn cool and Iâ€™m sure we will see aspects of this in our Web in the near future.Â Â The two readings below provide a great overview of the pros and cons.
Some interesting reads:
Google Wave: What Might Email Look Like If It Were Invented Today?
Debating the power of Google’s Wave